In Year Admissions
In Year Admissions (applications outside the normal admission times - all year groups).
In year applications are made directly to the school. If a place is available and there is no waiting list then the School will communicate the governors’ offer of a place to the family. If more applications are received than there are places available then applications will be ranked by the governing body in accordance with the oversubscription criteria. If a place cannot be offered at this time then you may ask us for the reasons and you will be informed of your right of appeal.
You will be offered the opportunity of being placed on a waiting list. This waiting list will be maintained by the governing body in the order of the oversubscription and not in the order in which the applications are received. Names are removed from the list at the end of each academic year. When a place becomes available the governing body will decide who is at the top of the list and the Governors will inform parents whether or not a place is to be offered.
St Bernard’s High School holds its own In-Year waiting list. The procedure is as follows:-
- The Year 7 admission list is received from the Local LA in the autumn term.
- This becomes the waiting list for Year 7.
- Any In-Year applications are processed in accordance with our admissions policy. In Year Supplementary Forms are available at the bottom of this page.
- A panel of Governors will process any in-year application and notify the admissions officer of the outcome.
- A letter informing in-year applicants of the outcome regarding their application is sent in writing within 10 school days when an application is received. If no place is available they will be added to the waiting list in the order set out in the school’s over-subscription admissions criteria.
- No student is removed from the waiting list unless the parent authorises it. When a place is available, the application of the student that is top of the waiting list is processed by the panel of Governors, and on their recommendation the admission officer will contact the family to confirm that they still want the place.
- The waiting list is refreshed every academic year and parents/carers are asked to contact the school if they wish to remain on the list otherwise their application is removed from the next academic year. Example if you are on the Year 7 waiting list, you will be removed in September for Year 8 unless you contact the school in writing by the end of August.
- Once your child is No.1 on the waiting list, the parent / carer will be contacted to arrange an admission’s meeting.
- The parents are asked at the end of the meeting to inform the Admission Officer by telephone by 12 noon the next day to confirm they want the place. If the place is not accepted then they are removed from the list and the school goes to the next candidate.
- If the place is accepted then the parents are asked to complete an Admission pack and confirmation of a start date is given.
- The waiting list is then updated. The waiting list can change, as the admission criteria are applied to every application received, and new applicants may be ranked higher than those already on the waiting list. Applicants can move down the waiting list as a consequence.
- Hard copies of all documents relating to the admissions process are available by contacting the school’s Admission Officer, via the school office.
- Appeals follow the same procedure as for Year 7 admissions. Helpful information regarding appeals is included in the letter to parents which informs them that their application has been unsuccessful.